Associate Engineer (Open and Promotional)
Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on August 29 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous." Application screenings and panel interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis, with the first round of screenings occurring on September 11 on applications received through September 10. First round of panel interviews will follow as advertised. Subsequent screenings and interviews will occur as needed. If you are interested in this important career opportunity, please apply immediately.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
San Mateo County's Planning and Building Department is seeking an Associate Engineer to join our skilled and dedicated team. The current vacancy is in the Civil Section under the Building Division. The primary responsibilities of the position include plan reviews and inspections of drainage and stormwater management design for private properties and projects developed by County of San Mateo. Additional duties include providing assistance with the day to day operational tasks of administering building and planning permits.
Associate Engineer is the journey level job classification in the engineering series. Employees are expected to be fully competent to independently perform a full range of duties requiring a high level of technical expertise, and some periodic supervisory responsibilities. Employees may also serve as a resident engineer on smaller, less complex construction projects. Under general supervision, incumbents may perform a variety of professional engineering services in such areas as planning, design and construction inspection of parcel site drainage, stormwater management, erosion control, landscaping, and other runoff control related features. Incumbents will be required to perform field work as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position is:
- Technically knowledgeable and experienced in the principles and practices of civil engineering, green infrastructure and stormwater management design, construction, and maintenance; surface runoff control and treatment design, construction and maintenance; and erosion control design, monitoring, and testing.
- An effective communicator, both verbal and written; able to represent the County in meetings and presentations to various groups including community groups, regulatory and other governmental agencies, and the general public.
- Customer-focused and interpersonally effective in communicating with applicants, general public, staff, engineers, and contractors, and in coordinating with law enforcement agencies, emergency responders and other agencies when necessary.
- Efficient in information sharing with the public and other governmental agencies, in person, by email, and over the telephone, regarding County procedures and regulations, plan requirements and property ownership, which may require the interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Able to perform development plan reviews and prepare plan review comments.
- Able to analyze and evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations and prepare effective technical staff reports.
- Accountable and able to schedule and carry through with assignments independently.
- Proficient in computer aided drafting and design software.
NOTE: The current vacancy is a regular, classified position and the eligible list created by this recruitment will be used to fill the vacancy. If future vacancies occur, the eligible list generated from this recruitment could be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Licensure/Certification: Some positions require possession of a class C California driver license or equivalent.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
Two years of professional civil engineering experience which has included field and office work in the planning, design, construction and maintenance of a variety of civil engineering projects.
- Civil engineering practices and procedures including design and construction methods and techniques.
- Strength, properties and uses of materials and hydraulics.
- Civil engineering design and drafting principles.
- Project management principles and practices.
- Basic principles of supervision.
- Surveying methods.
- Methods, materials and equipment used in civil engineering projects.
- Methods, materials and equipment used in civil engineering construction work.
- Construction inspection techniques.
- Hydraulics and strength of materials.
- Principles of engineering as they apply to public works projects.
- Engineering mathematics and their application to engineering problems.
- Perform engineering calculations and routine design work.
- Solve surveying problems.
- Prepare neat and accurate maps, drawings, notes and reports.
- Inspect civil engineering work in progress.
- Prepare clear, concise correspondence and reports.
- Comply with safety procedures.
- Supervise subordinate staff.
- Operate survey equipment.
Open and Promotional. Anyone may apply. Current San Mateo County and San Mateo County Superior Court employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position are accepted online only. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click on the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: Pass/Fail). A screening committee will select those applicants whose training, experience and responses to the questions on the employment application and supplemental questionnaire appear to best meet the needs of the position and invite them to interview. Because of this process, all applicants meeting the minimum requirements are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the recruitment process. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%) which may include a written or performance exercise. Depending on the number of applications, an application appraisal of training and experience may be used in place of examinations. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and all applicants must participate at their own expense.
As noted previously, this recruitment is now continuous. Application screenings and panel interviews will occur on a regular basis as applications are received. The first round of screening will occur on September 11, with interviews to follow on September 24 and/or 25.
This position could be filled at any time. Please apply immediately if you are interested in this important career opportunity.
At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day. County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HR Analyst:Lucy Fung (081618) (Associate Engineer - N018)