BI Data Analyst - Limited Term (Open)
The San Mateo County Information Services Department is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of BI Data Analyst to be responsible for facilitating meetings with business users to gather and analyze business requirements and translate business needs into long-term business intelligence solutions. In addition, this role will also be maintaining and creating all business intelligence workflow processes and reports using Business Intelligence toolsets.
This is a hands-on position and the individual will become familiar with all aspects of the Information Services Department. This role requires building strong working relationships with all levels of the County organization, including executives, management, and line staff in order to understand the requests for data and reports.
The ideal candidate for the position will possess:
- Experience creating ad-hoc reports utilizing various data sources
- At least 5 years of experience with report development tools such as SSRS, business objects and Crystal Reports to include report front-end development, report query writing and tuning, report deployment and management
- Experience with SSIS to include creating, maintaining, and executing SSIS programs
- Experience with OLTP and OLAP databases to include reporting and data modeling
- Experience such as database administration in Oracle and MS SQL Server
- Ability to perform extraction, transformation and load (ETL) with data sources
- Experience using Oracle, MS SQL Server 2008/2012 SSRS, SSIS, PowerPivot, integration with Excel
- Understanding of the principles and techniques of systems analysis and design;
- Experience with Powershell for common tasks
- Ability to document procedures and promote best practices for using SSRS, BO and CR
- Experience in developing training materials and provide training to users with varying levels of skills
- Ability to provide training to government and contractor staff on how to use SSRS, BO and CR toolsets; establishing methods for reminding users of best practices;
This is a Limited term, at-will position. Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan.
Information for current county employees: Current and regular San Mateo County Employees who are interested in this assignment must submit an application and compete in the recruitment process. If you are successful in the recruitment and are being considered for the assignment, HR will work directly with you and/or your department for options. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable.
- Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Confer with customer department staff to define applications requirements and translate such business needs into technical solutions.
- Develop program module specifications based on documented requirements.
- Work with other Information Services Department staff, (e.g. Data Base Administration, Technical Services, Communications) to ensure that assigned tasks are completed accurately in a timely manner.
- Prepare and execute work task plans for all assigned work requests.
- Attend design, and code walk-throughs and technical reviews, presenting and defending the code for which responsible.
- Provide technical assistance and training to team members.
- Troubleshoot and resolve software problems.
- Prepare training materials and train customers in the use and/or operation of new or modified information management systems.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Various procedures/commands related to Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) design, analysis, and programming.
- Advanced data management theory, principles, and practices and their application to a wide variety of services and programs.
- Various software packages including word processing, spreadsheet, SQL database and database management, and reporting tools.
- Advanced principles and practices of designing, configuring, and implementing system backup solutions.
- Principles and practices used in the operations, maintenance, repair, and administration of assigned systems and equipment.
- Technology, hardware and software, and current applications related to GIS.
- Technology, hardware and software, current applications and methods related to Open Data and/or Open Government.
- ETL processes for data loads between disparate systems.
- Techniques and methods of database system evaluation, implementation, and documentation.
- Troubleshooting, configuration, and installation techniques.
- The organization, operation, and functions of the department as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities and to determine appropriate point of escalation.
- Applicable regulatory relevant to assigned area of responsibility.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work.
- English usage, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with vendors and County staff.
- Perform complex technical support functions for assigned responsibilities; troubleshoot problems and take appropriate action or escalate to appropriate staff as needed.
- Diagnose complex problems, perform remedial actions to correct problems, and/or recommend and determine solutions.
- Oversee and perform complex functions in the installation, implementation, testing, and maintenance of a variety of database systems and other components.
- Perform advanced analyses of informational requirements and needs, identify problems, provide technical advice and consultation, and ensure efficient computer system utilization.
- Analyze data and recommend logical solutions to problems.
- Interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, rules, and regulations.
- Deal tactfully with the customers and staff in providing information, answering questions, and providing customer service.
- Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record keeping, and tracking systems.
- Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in management information systems, computer science, or a related field and four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in database management specific to the specialty area assigned which includes logical and physical database administration; integration; business intelligence, analytics, and report scripting; and/or data quality and integrity. Additional related experience may substitute for education requirement on a year-for-year basis, up to four (4) years.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Some positions may require possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver's License.
- Some positions may require possession of information technology industry recognized certifications.
- Some positions may require ability to pass security background check.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Standing in and walking between work areas is frequently required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification frequently bend, stoop, kneel, and reach to perform assigned duties, as well as push and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds with the use of proper equipment.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff when providing database support services.
Anyone may apply. Responses to supplemental questions are required and must be submitted in addition to the Standard San Mateo County employment application. A resume or reference to a resume will not be accepted as a substitute for your responses to these questions.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process. The San Mateo County Information Services Department will screen applications as they are received and will directly contact qualified applicants for further consideration.
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Final Filing Date: Continuous
Departmental Interviews: On an Ongoing Basis
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds and contributions. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.HR Contact: Lucy Fung (070518) (IS Data Specialist III- V274)