Boiler Watch Engineer - (Open) (Extra Help)
Boiler Watch Engineers, under general supervision, operate and maintain proper steam pressure and water in high pressure boilers used for space heating and domestic hot water heat exchangers at the San Mateo Medical Center.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Watch boiler water supply and keep pumps regulated to maintain even water level in boilers;
- Perform water treatments; assist with inspection, repair and replacement of steam, water, air and oil pipes;
- Keep steam supply regulated as needed throughout power plant;
- Help install machinery and equipment;
- Inspect pressure and temperature gauges for steam or water leaks, and make repairs or notify the chief engineer of needed repairs; reset and repack steam and water valves;
- Keep steam boilers in good condition;
- Wipe and dust boiler room fixtures and appliances;
- Clean boiler flues; sweep and keep boiler room premises in clean and orderly condition;
- Keep records of fuel consumption and temperatures of fuel oil and feed water;
- Perform miscellaneous minor repair work;
- Perform other duties as assigned including operation of Direct Digital Control (DDC), VAV and Pneumatic controls. Boiler Watch Engineers also monitor fire alarm systems and pneumatic tube systems and operate emergency generators and Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS).
In addition to having the knowledge, skills and abilities listed under Qualifications, the ideal candidate will be well-versed in the principles of water treatment and be able to conduct and interpret water treatment tests. The ideal candidate will also be able to maintain hourly operational logs of all central plant equipment.
NOTE: This position will be required to work swing and graveyard shifts.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is one year of boiler room experience.
Knowledge of: Efficient firing methods and boiler room practices; methods of firing, operating and blowing off boilers; and methods, materials, tools and equipment used in cleaning and keeping boilers in good condition.
Skill/Ability to: Keep an even fire with economical use of fuel; and understand and carry out oral and written directions.
Anyone may apply. The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: Pass/Fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement. Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Application Deadline: Continuous
Application Screening: TBD
Departmental Interview: TBD
At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day. County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Christina Chan (02282018) (Boiler Watch Engineer - T048)