Child Support Customer Service Specialist - Spanish Speaking Preferred (Limited Term) (Open)
- The San Mateo County Department of Child Support Services is looking for a Customer Service Specialist to answer telephone calls from customers and use available resources to answer inquiries. The Specialist will identify and determine solutions to problems that customers may have, accurately document key information from each call using the computer, verify existing case data to ensure correct case processing, and identify and solve problems and refer cases to a Child Support Analyst for additional action, as appropriate. The Specialist will also provide clerical support and conduct outbound calls as needed.The successful candidate will join an energetic and effective customer service team, which is focused on providing clear, consistent and accurate information to customers in a friendly and helpful manner.THE IDEAL CANDIDATEIn addition to the required knowledge, skills and abilities listed below, the Department seeks a bright, flexible, energetic person who possesses the following:
THE DEPARTMENTThe Department of Child Support Services serves the public by ensuring that children receive financial support to which they are legally entitled. The Department also serves taxpayers by helping families remain self-sufficient and recouping aid to families with dependent children from non-custodial parents. The Department is committed to providing timely, competent and professional services that are cost-effective and respond to community needs. The Department's Call Center is a fast-paced and unpredictable environment where Call Center Specialists will be accepting a high volume of calls from both custodial and non-custodial parents with questions about their cases. The Call Center is located in Redwood City, California, and operates from Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- At least two years of experience providing the highest quality of customer service at a call center.
- Experience working in a call center or a child support agency is a plus.
- Advance proficiency with desktop systems, Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel), and web-based applications.
- Ability to type at a minimum speed of 35 WPM.
- Ability to quickly learn and analyze rules, regulations, policies and procedures involved in customer service in a child support environment and relay the information to customers in a clear, accurate and highly professional manner.
- Ability to deal tactfully, courteously and effectively with callers under difficult circumstances.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time and communicate with the public primarily by extensive use of telephones.
- Possession of excellent hearing and manipulative skills to operate a telephony system.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including excellent telephone skills to communicate courteously, efficiently, and accurately over the phone.
- Fluency in Spanish (read, speak, write) is preferred but NOT required for this position.
NOTE: This is a limited term, at-will position not to exceed 3 years. Limited Term employees receive full medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a portable 401(a) plan. However, the eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies, including classified, unclassified, term, full-time, part-time, temporary and extra help vacancies.
Information for current county employees: Current and regular San Mateo County Employees who are interested in this assignment must submit an application and compete in the recruitment process. If you are successful in the recruitment and are being considered for the assignment, HR will work directly with you and/or your department for options. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
Knowledge of: Rules, regulations, policies and procedures involved in customer service in a child support environment; techniques for dealing with the public, in person and over the telephone, often when relations may be confrontational or strained; case management techniques; automated computer systems and a working knowledge of a word processing software package; proper spoken and written business English.
Skill/Ability to: Deal tactfully, courteously and effectively with callers under difficult and/or strained circumstances; express ideas effectively orally and in writing; simultaneously work on multiple detailed tasks with frequent interruption; use initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines; interpret, apply and explain complex rules, policies and procedures; operate a computer and other office equipment for extended periods.
This is a limited term recruitment. Anyone may apply. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination will consist of a scored relevant Training and Experience (T&E) (weight: pass/fail) based solely on the candidates' responses to the supplemental questions. Passing application materials will be reviewed after the final filing date and well-qualified candidates will be contacted by the department for an interview. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
Tentative Recruitment Schedule
Final Filing Date: December 18, 2018
Departmental Interviews: TBDAt the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day.
County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.Analyst: Christina Chan (120518) (Child Support Customer Service Specialist - E431)