Communications Coordinator - Extra Help (Open)
San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) Division is seeking an experienced Communications Coordinator - Extra Help (up to 40 hours per week) to support the planning, development and implementation of communication strategies related to mental health and substance use outreach, prevention, engagement and treatment services.
This position supports internal and external communication strategies to keep the public, clients, providers, community partners, employees, and other County stakeholders informed about available resources, programs and priorities.
The Communications Coordinator will create, post and maintain content for various communications channels including the website, social media, blog and newsletter using a diverse range of media including photos, videos, and other graphics; support the creation of content related to campaigns, collateral and events; and write, review and edit copy for newsletter articles, posts and collateral. This extra help position is stationed in San Mateo but will travel/drive to other locations to perform duties of the position. This position will be through June 2019.
Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Website: Create, edit, publish, monitor content for public sites and intranet, keeping content relevant, current and engaging.
- Social Media: Create, publish, monitor and analyze social media content and ensure the company's message is coordinated across all communications channels including the blog, Facebook, Twitter, NextDoor.
- Writing, Editing and Proofreading: Research, write and edit articles, social media and website content, collateral, and other digital and print content. Proofreading and editing for consistency, clarity, succinctness and accuracy for the target audience.
- Graphic Design: Create various print and digital graphics and materials, which may include reports, brochures, flyers, newsletters, social media graphics, posters, PowerPoint presentations, training materials, signage and fact sheets.
- Internal Communications: Support the planning, development and implementation of internal communications projects and platforms.
- Project Management: Manage the development, production and printing/publishing of multiple concurrent communications related projects to meet deadlines.
- General Communications Support: ensure proper use and compliance of branding components and communications, media policies and protocols, collateral fulfillment, reporting, database management and maintaining logs, files and calendars.
- A Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in communications, marketing, graphic design, digital marketing, journalism, multimedia design or related field.
- Minimum one year marketing, communications, social media, multimedia design or related experience.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills for diverse audiences and formats with considerable attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience working on or managing websites and social media channels.
- Experience creating digital content for multiple platforms and understanding of how to write for a digital audience a plus.
- Highly organized with strong project management skills with ability to plan, track, manage multiple concurrent projects and follow through to meet tight deadlines in a high-volume environment.
- Ability to work both independently and collaborate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Public health or health care marketing/communications experience is a plus.
- Experience with graphic designs software, such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign, etc. highly desirable.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and project management tools; adept at learning new tools and technologies
NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
If you are interested in being considered for this extra help position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Cover letter with responses to Supplemental Questions (maximum of 2 pages)
- Describe your overall experience and why you think this position is a good fit for you.
- Describe a writing assignment for an informational, educational, or promotional or storytelling piece where you did all of the following: research, writing and editing and proofing. Submit a writing sample with your application materials. (Can be a professional piece you wrote or a personal piece that demonstrates your writing skills).
- Describe your experience using graphic design software, including InDesign. If you have no professional experience, describe your personal knowledge and use of any design software. Submit graphic design samples with your application materials if you have a design background.
- Describe your experience working with social media (content creation, posting, management) and include your specific role. Submit samples of social media content you created, or links to accounts managed if applicable.
- Describe a complex project you helped to coordinate from beginning to end and include specific tasks and areas you were responsible for and any deadlines and tasks that required attention to detail associated with the project. Submit samples of project management lists or other tools created to manage a project a project if applicable.
- Are you available to work full-time? If not, how many hours would you be available per week?
Please submit the above listed materials via email to:
Diane Tom, Communications Specialist
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.
NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (cover letter with responses to supplemental questions and a resume) will not be considered.
San Mateo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer