Community Outreach Associate/Coordinator - Bilingual - Peninsula Clean Energy
Are you interested in community or government relations? Do you want to help the environment and your community by combatting climate change? Are you bilingual in English and Spanish? If so, come work for Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE). PCE is the new community choice electricity provider for San Mateo County. Residents and businesses in our communities receive cleaner electricity at lower rates than PG&E.
Peninsula Clean Energy is a joint powers authority formed by the County of San Mateo and each of its 20 cities to offer greener electricity to its residents and businesses to meet local climate action goals. PCE is governed by a Board of Directors, which is comprised of a representative from the governing body of each member community.
PCE purchases electricity from clean generation sources such as solar, wind and hydropower on behalf of customers in our service area. Electricity is still delivered over the existing transmission system, which will continue to be owned and operated by the current electric utility. PCE serves approximately 290,000 residential and business accounts.
Under staff direction, the Community Outreach Associate/Coordinator will organize and conduct bilingual community outreach throughout San Mateo County to inform and engage residents and businesses to build awareness about Peninsula Clean Energy. The candidate will also translate PCE outreach materials from English to Spanish. The work performed requires excellent organization, communication, public speaking, community engagement, and Spanish language skills.
Depending on the experience of the chosen candidate, this position could be filled at the Community Outreach Associate or at the Community Outreach Coordinator level.
The salary range for the Community Outreach Associate is $65,000 - $85,000 annually.
The salary range for the Community Outreach Coordinator is $85,000 - $105,000 annually.
- Examples Of Duties
Under the direction of PCE staff, the successful Community Outreach Associate/Coordinator will:
- Continue to build knowledge of and positive relationships for PCE in the communities of San Mateo County, including among Spanish-speaking customers.
- Organize community outreach opportunities for PCE, including identifying events and handling logistics including registration, materials, and staffing.
- Represent PCE in the public with accurate information and answer frequently asked questions, including learning complex details about the customer experience of a utility and keeping up with changing information.
- Staff PCE booths, including packing and transporting materials, setting up and taking down booth, and engaging the public with accurate information and enthusiasm.
- Support PCE's outreach partner organizations by providing materials and presentations tailored to their needs, as well as grant management as needed.
- Perform data entry into database, such as sign-up sheets from events.
- Coordinate volunteer outreach.
- Cultivate and build relationships with community organizations on behalf of PCE.
- Make basic updates to PCE's website and social media.
- Translate PCE outreach materials from English into Spanish.
- Locate sources of information and collect and organize data, as directed.
- Assist with the development of written, graphic and/or oral reports.
- Help with social media, news releases and newsletter articles, and other presentation material as needed.
- Manage administrative tasks as needed.
- Assist in preparing for and staffing meetings, including scheduling, preparing packets, setting up and clearing out rooms, taking notes.
- 2 - 3 years of community outreach or related experience for an Associate role, or 3-5 years of relevant community outreach or related experience for the Coordinator role.
- Bilingual in spoken and written Spanish and English, ability to accurately translate brief English documents into Spanish.
- Basic knowledge of and enthusiasm for clean energy and climate action.
- Flexible availability, able to work frequent evenings and weekends to staff community events.
- Outgoing personality, with a love for meeting new people.
- Passion for community outreach.
- Exceptional and enthusiastic interpersonal verbal communication skills.
- Professionalism in presentation.
- Quick learner, able to absorb new technical information.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to work with a team, as well as independently motivated.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and comfortable learning new computer skills as needed.
- Valid California Drivers' License*.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Experience communicating about environmental or energy-related topics.
- Experience building a network of positive relationships in Spanish-speaking communities in San Mateo County.
- Four-year college degree in environmental studies, communications, public planning, community studies, or similar field.
- Understanding of traditional and social media landscape.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, all applications must be submitted in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line "Community Outreach Fellow/Coordinator". The application must include:
- Cover Letter
- One-page writing sample in English on an environmental topic, with your translation into Spanish attached
First round of application screening: Week of August 6th
First round of interviews: Week of August 13th
This is a continuous recruitment and will be open until the position is filled. Questions regarding this position and the recruitment can be sent to HR@peninsulacleanenergy.com.
Please note: Although the County is assisting PCE with this recruitment, the position is not with the County, but with Peninsula Clean Energy.