Dentist - Extra Help
The San Mateo Medical Center is seeking General Dentists. San Mateo Medical Center is part of the County of San Mateo Health System and is located in San Mateo County, California, just south of San Francisco. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three years of clinical experience. Many of our patients require oral surgery. Services are performed in a hospital-based clinic and general clinic settings. As a result, dental services are integrated with health system processes and infrastructure support including electronic health records, medical dictation and the availability of dental and medical specialists in both the hospital and satellite clinics.
Besides being a full-scope Medical Center and Hospital, the San Mateo Medical Center operates five dental clinics located in San Mateo (39th Avenue Clinic), Redwood City (Fair Oaks Health Center- FOHC), Daly City (Daly City Clinic), Coastside Clinic (Half Moon Bay), and a Mobile Dental Clinic (MDC) These clinics treat children and adults, homeless and transitional populations, and patients with HIV diagnosis.
All Clinics are open Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM, with some evenings, and some Saturday hours. There is an oral surgeon at the San Mateo facility every Wednesday, at FOHC every Monday, and at Coastside one day per month. At FOHC and MDC, there is a special clinic where patients are treated by University of Pacific Third Year Residents. Pregnant women on Medi-Cal can also obtain dental services in all of the clinics. Additionally, San Mateo Medical Center oversees dental care for correctional health.
NOTE: Extra-help assignments are at-will and the employee is paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment.
- Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct medical/dental examinations and make diagnoses.
- Perform all phases of dental treatment (i.e., fillings, root canals, crowns, etc.)
- Determine and prescribe appropriate treatment and/or medication for dental disorders.
- Perform prophylactic dentistry services.
- Treat mouth diseases, perform oral surgery, prescribe drugs in connection with dental treatment and instruct patients in oral hygiene.
- Operate dental radiology equipment.
- Prepare and maintain clinical records; supervise pre- and post- operative care of dental surgical cases.
- Order examinations, analyses and x-rays, conducts rounds and reviews reports, records and the general progress of patients.
- Teach and provide instruction to residents and dental students. (If granted adjunct faculty status)
- Arrange and conduct consulting conferences and chart reviews for the discussion of the dental and surgical condition of patients.
- Provide clinical supervision to licensed and professional auxiliary staff.
- Prepare reports and maintain records of activities.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Screen and treat emergency drop-in patients during designated time.
- Triage emergency dental cases and possibly see a hospital inpatient with a dental issue.
- Active dental license to practice dentistry issued by the California Board of Dental Examiners.
- Principles and practices of modern dentistry and its application, techniques, procedures and equipment.
- Current developments, trends and research in the dental field.
- Basic understanding of clinical supervisory principles and practices.
- Pharmacology including laws regarding informed consent, dosage ranges, drug incompatibilities, and side effects.
- Proper documentation of clinical services.
- Dental diagnosis and treatment.
- Diagnose and treat dental conditions of patients.
- Develop and monitor appropriate treatment plans including prescription of medications.
- Conduct dental examinations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, their families, staff and others.
- Maintain dental records and prepare reports.
- Clinically supervise licensed and professional staff.
This is an Extra Help recruitment. Anyone may apply. Thorough and detailed responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to the standard San Mateo County employment application. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The department will screen application materials, and they will contact qualified candidates directly for a departmental interview.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Final Filing Date: Continuous
Departmental Interviews: TBD
County of San Mateo is an Equal Opportunity Employer
HR Contact: Kristin Herman (102617) (Dentist - F032)