Employee and Labor Relations Manager (Departmental Promotional Only)
The County of San Mateo seeks an innovative, collaborative, and results-oriented leader to fill the position of Employee and Labor Relations Manager. This position is responsible for directing the Countywide employer-employee relations and labor relations programs, serving as chief labor relations strategist, and providing highly responsive and complex administrative support to senior level management. Reporting to the Human Resources Director, this is an executive-level position that supervises a staff of five.
The Employee and Labor Relations Manager will be an exceptional leader who is committed to the overall strategic management of Countywide employer-employee relations and labor relations programs. Additionally, the Manager will be:
- Well-versed in the principles and practices of employee and labor relations, including negotiations and employment laws, within a public agency.
- An approachable and politically astute leader with a management style that quickly fosters trust, respect, commitment and partnership.
- Passionate about public service. Loyal, committed, engaged, and of the highest integrity.
- A great communicator and listener, who is a quick and clear thinker and calm under pressure.
- A strategic thinker and problem-solver with innovative yet practical solutions to challenges.
- Eloquent and persuasive, able to inspire confidence and build consensus.
- An excellent writer, capable of creating concise, objective, organized narratives that are comprehensive, persuasive and insightful.
- Responsive and exceptionally organized, realizing the importance of service excellence and providing outstanding customer service.
- An effective coach that demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is four years of increasingly responsible experience performing a wide variety of administrative and managerial duties in a large, complex public agency including two years of experience in a senior level administrative or management position.
Departmental Promotional Only - Only current County of San Mateo employees in the Human Resources Department with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date may apply.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume or reference to a resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%) which may include a writing and/or performance exercise. Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.
Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
Final Filing Date: December 13, 2018
Application Screening: December 18, 2018
Panel Interviews: December 20, 2018
The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Lisa Yapching
(D037 - Human Resources Manager III 120318)