Fiscal Office Services Supervisor (Departmental Promotional Only)
The Fiscal Office Services Supervisor, under direction from the Controller's Division Manager, directly supervises fiscal office staff and activities in the Accounts Payable Unit of the Controller's Office; provides difficult, technical or specialized accounting or financial and/or accounting office support work, which may include maintaining a complete set of ledgers and supporting financial records and performing audit and reconciliation functions. This position will provide general backup support to the Fiscal Office Specialist(s), with oversight responsibility for the Accounts Payable division operations.
This is the first full supervisory level in the fiscal office support series, responsible for planning, organizing, supervising, reviewing and evaluating the work of a group of fiscal office support employees either directly or through subordinate lead staff.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge and experience with processing Accounts Payable for a large organization
- The ability to problem solve Accounts Payable related issues
- Experience supervising 2-3 employees
- Working knowledge of OFAS
- The ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Superior organization skills, analytical skills, and extremely detailed-oriented
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Examples Of Duties
- Supervise and direct fiscal office support staff and activities, either directly or through subordinate lead staff.
- Plan, schedule and assign fiscal office support work such as processing varied forms, and establishing control and subsidiary ledgers, fund accounts and similar records.
- Participate in the hiring of assigned staff, recommending selection for management approval.
- Train assigned staff in fiscal office and County procedures and specific departmental and unit policies and procedures.
- Evaluate employee performance, counsel employees and effectively recommend initial corrective action and other personnel decisions.
- Determine work schedules and authorize leaves, ensuring the effective, efficient and timely completion of all work.
- Answer inquiries, provide information and resolve complaints from the public or County employees regarding fiscal, accounting, statistical and similar functions, policies and activities that require the use of judgment and the interpretation and application of policies, rules and procedures. Develop, recommend, and implement improved operating procedures, forms and work processes.
- Provide input into the budget and goal setting processes.
- Perform complex and technical fiscal, accounting, payroll or financial support work, which may require the review of a variety of reports and records, investigation and reconciliation of information, the establishment and maintenance of control and subsidiary fiscal records and journals, and the reconciliation and balancing of subsidiary ledgers, fund accounts and similar records.
- Enter and retrieve data from an on-line or personal computer system.
- Prepare financial statements, projections and monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is four years of fiscal, bookkeeping, payroll, accounting, revenue support or financial or similar office administrative or fiscal clerical experience.
Knowledge of: Supervisory principles and practices, including work planning, scheduling, review, evaluation and employee training and corrective action; fiscal, accounting and financial recordkeeping and bookkeeping principles and practices, and budget control principles; policies, procedures and terminology related to the department or function to which assigned; applicable laws, ordinances and regulations; office administrative practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment; business arithmetic, including percentages and decimals; correct oral and written business English usage; and business data processing principles and the use of personal or on-line computers.
Skill/Abilities to: Plan, assign, supervise, review and evaluate the work of others; train others in work procedures; organize and prioritize work, meet critical time deadlines and follow up on assignments with a minimum of supervision; analyze and resolve a variety of fiscal office administrative problems; perform complex and difficult fiscal, accounting, auditing or financial office support work; interpret and apply rules, and explain policies and procedures; organize, research and maintain office files; prepare complete statistical records and financial reports; use initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines; operate standard office equipment including a calculator and computer terminal; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Departmental Promotional Only. Only current San Mateo County employees in the San Mateo County Controller's Office with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help or term position prior to the final filing date may apply.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail). Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply. A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to the standard County employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required application materials.
~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Final Filing Date: September 24, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
Application Screening: September 26, 2018
Combined Panel Interview: September 27 and/or 28, 2018
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HR Analyst: Lucy Fung (091118) (Fiscal Office Services Supervisor E534)