Information Technology Analyst - Human Services Agency (Open & Promotional)
San Mateo County's Human Services Agency is seeking qualified Information Technology Analysts. Under general supervision, the Information Technology Analyst will provide technical analytical support for the department information systems. The incumbent will perform difficult and responsible duties in the following general area: system analysis, application development and enhancement, designated and specialized software systems, hardware and software operations, identification of user requirements, and end-user training and support; management of the operation, maintenance, and upgrading of department-specific applications; serve as technical advisor and liaison to vendors, contractors, and department staff on system applications, software products, services and issues; oversee and guide the work of technical support staff participating in system installation and or enhancement projects; and performs related duties as required; maintaining department web-sites.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage the operation, maintenance, and upgrading of department-specific applications.
- Serve as technical advisor and liaison to vendors, contractors and department staff on system applications, software products, services and issues.
- Facilitate communication between staff and vendors regarding system issues.
- Provide technical support to users; Identifying, diagnosing, escalating, and resolving system issues; Track issues/incidents in ticketing system; Send regular updates to users on the incident/request status; Coordinate with users and outside vendors, when necessary, to respond to service requests; implement solutions to problems.
- Oversee and guide the work of technical support staff participating in system installation and/or enhancement projects.
- Monitor systems to ensure adequate performance and maintenance; analyze and recommend enhancements.
- Represent San Mateo County in State/Consortium sponsored technical workgroups/committees.
- Participate in the development of new applications; test software to ensure compatibility.
- Assess and optimize system designs through review and analysis of user needs, customizing systems through system design and administration to meet the changing business needs of the users.
- Analyze data processing needs; research and evaluate software on multiple platforms to assist users to meet their departmental goals; assist in developing the evaluation criteria for software.
- Conduct feasibility studies; evaluate vendor products; make recommendations based on user requirements and system analysis to ensure adequate planning.
- Research and evaluate technology; identify opportunities for improvements through automation.
- Create and generate reports and statistics to meet user and program requirements; interface with other departments.
- Conduct end-user training.
- Guide central IT staff in the implementation and/or upgrade of systems.
- Maintaining department websites.
- Perform related duties as required.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have at least five years of increasingly responsible experience in information technology support.
- Have proven analytical and problem-solving abilities with disciplined troubleshooting methodologies.
- Possess excellent customer service skills and experience in IT support of a diverse user community.
- Possess significant experience in at least one of the following:
- Application support service experiences, analyzes source documents, database structure and management report requirements with solid knowledge in Change and Release processes.
- Project support experience with solid knowledge of completing project task oriented services, addressing the risks and benefits of the environment supported.
- Service Desk experience with solid knowledge in ITIL service support and analysis, diagnosis, and problem solving.
- Possess a working knowledge of at least one of the following:
- State applications such as CalWIN, CalHEERS, MEDS, or CWS/CMS.
- Policy and processes for the administration of Human Services Agency programs such as Medi-Cal, CalFresh, CalWORKS, etc.
- Microsoft desktop and server products such as Windows 7, Microsoft Office Suites, Server 2008/2012, etc.
- Business Intelligent products such as SAP Business Object, IBM Cognos, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, Information Builders WebFocus, etc.
- Programming language such as ASP, ASP.net, PowerShell, Python etc.
- Have interest and ability to learn technologies, as needed, including departmental-specific software.
- Have interest and ability to learn the Human Services Agency business domain necessary to be effective in the Application Support role.
- Possess outstanding written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with diverse technical and non-technical groups spanning all organizational levels.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities.
- Ability to be flexible and work well in a high-pressure production environment with changing priorities and frequent "emergency issues".
- Experience working with vendors as a support professional to drive resolution to issues and establish lifecycle management plans.
There are currently two vacancies.
NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is two years of experience in application development and support.
Knowledge of: Data processing principles, concepts and terminology; business mathematics; record keeping and filing principles and practices and job planning and prioritizing techniques; operations, purposes, and functions of the application being supported and information needs and requirements of the systems users.
Skill/Ability to: Analyze operational and systems problems, evaluate alternatives and reach sound conclusions; use initiative and sound independent judgment within established procedural guidelines to support automation systems; prepare clear, concise and accurate documentation, instructions, correspondence and other written materials; develop and present comprehensive training material for the appropriate area; maintain accurate records and files; organize work, set priorities and meet critical deadlines; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; provide support to multiple users of broad based applications; install and support hardware and software used by the department; respond effectively to user problems and needs; plan and coordinate the work of others; communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with both technical and non-technical personnel; analyze user requirements and recommend appropriate data automation products.
Anyone may apply. Current San Mateo County and San Mateo County Superior Court employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five (5) points added to their final passing score on this examination. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form.
The examination will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidate's application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations, or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply Online' button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply.
Final Filing Date: September 25, 2018
Screening Date: September 26, 2018
Combined Panel Interview: October 10, 2018 and/or October 11, 2018
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Arlene Cahill (09112018) (Information Technology Analyst - V235)