Laboratory Assistant II - Relief (Open)
San Mateo Medical Center is seeking an experienced Laboratory Assistant to fill one (1) Relief position. Under general supervision of the Laboratory Support Services Supervisor, the Laboratory Assistants provide assistance to laboratory professionals in the areas of test preparation, collection of blood samples, performance of specified tests, and preparation of media and reagents.
The Ideal Candidate has experience in pediatric, geriatric, inpatient, and outpatient phlebotomy including, but not limited to, specimen processing in microbiology, pathology, and send outs; and is skilled in the use of Novius Lab and e-CW AEMR applications, as well as Invision/Gui software. The ideal candidate is able to work independently; willing to adapt to change and learn new skills; and has customer service experience. Previous experience communicating directly with nurses and physicians; an associate Degree in a medical-related field; and ample work experience in the medical field is preferred. Fluency in an additional language is a plus.
The current vacancy is for a relief position and may require the ability to work weekends and float all shifts. The work schedule will primarily be weekdays: AM shift (5:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.) and/or PM shift (2:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.).
NOTE: This list will be used for extra-help hire only. The hourly wages for "relief" classifications are 5% above the rate for regular employees in the same classification.
- Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist licensed or certified laboratory professionals in the performance of tests, either in a medical laboratory or a public health laboratory setting.
- Prepare and stain smears for bacteriological and parasitological examination following prescribed techniques.
- Prepare specimens for shipping and maintain accurate records.
- Add test reagents to specimen or vice-versa in specified qualitative and semi-quantitative "spot, tablet, or stick" tests.
- Prepare clinical specimens for examination using prescribed methods such as labeling, concentration, centrifugation, decantation, filtration, etc.
- Maintain cleanliness in the laboratory work area, stocks of laboratory supplies and appropriate records.
- Perform minor clerical duties such as charging lab tests, logging slips, ordering tests in LIS, transcribing results which have been previously recorded, keeping records of temperatures, etc.
- Assist in the supervising and training of subordinate personnel.
- Perform related work as required.
If assigned to a medical laboratory:
- Perform venous and skin punctures to obtain blood samples for test purposes.
- Prepares blood components, reagents and culture media to be used in performing laboratory tests.
- Perform finger stick tests of all types including waived tests.
- Perform skin tests including PPDs.
- Perform and maintain quality requirements of waived CLIA tests including dipstick UAs, pregnancy and fecal occult blood tests
- Laboratory methods and techniques used in the preparation of media, reagents, and test.
- Infection control principles and practices;
- Techniques for disinfecting, sterilizing, and glassware washing.
- Operation of laboratory equipment and instruments such as autoclaves, ovens, incubators and centrifuges.
- Laboratory safety procedures.
- Proper specimen processing procedures; department and hospital safety practices and procedures; patient rights; infection control policies and practices; handling, storage, use and disposal of hazardous materials; department and hospital emergency response policies and procedures.
- Operate laboratory equipment and instruments such as autoclaves, ovens, incubators, and centrifuges accurately and safely.
- Make mathematic calculations using simple formulas including percentages and ratios.
- Measure liquid and solid materials using graduated glassware and weighing devices.
- Comprehend and meticulously follow oral and written procedural and safety instructions contained in standard procedural manuals.
- Deal tactfully with the public and co-workers.
- Perform venipuncture and finger punctures.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is two years of experience working in a clinical, public health, environmental, food or other biological laboratory.
- San Mateo Medical Center positions require possession of a valid phlebotomy certificate issued by the State of California. (Note: Graduation from high school or possession of a GED is a requirement for this certificate.)
- Possession of a valid California driver license or equivalent.
This is a relief recruitment. Anyone may apply. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The recruitment will consist of a San Mateo Medical Center Screening Committee reviewing applications and selecting those applicants whose experience and background appear to best meet the needs of the positions based solely on the information provided in the application materials. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the recruitment.
San Mateo Medical Center will contact qualified candidates, who appear to best meet the needs of the position, to schedule a departmental interview.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply.
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Final Filing Date: Continuous
Departmental Interviews: TBD
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs.
The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Wendy Young (103118) (Laboratory Assistant II - Relief - F156-R)