Medical Services Assistant II - Spanish Speaking Required - Extra Help & Limited Term
Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on July 17, 2018 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
Note: The job announcement was updated on July 5 & 10, 2018 to reflect the current vacancies.
The San Mateo County Health System is seeing experienced Spanish-Speaking Certified Medical Assistants to join its Care Team.
The current vacancies are in:
- Fair Oaks Health Center, located at 2710 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, CA 94063 - one Full-Time, Extra Help position and one Full-Time, Limited Term position.
- OB/GYN Clinic, located at 222 W. 39th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403 - One Full-Time, Extra Help position.
- Specialty Clinics, located at 222 W. 39th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403 - One Full-Time, Limited Term position.
- Coastside Clinic, located at 225 South Cabrillo Highway, Suite 100A, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019 - One Full-Time, Extra Help position.
Under direct supervision of licensed staff, Certified Medical Assistants (CMAs) perform a variety of patient care and other services required to treat patients in a health services outpatient or mobile clinic.
The ideal candidate will have experience in an Ambulatory Care Clinic and documenting in an Electronic Medical Record. Knowledge of working in Care Teams and Patient Centered Medical Home terminology is preferred, but not required.
NOTE: For the Full-Time, Extra Help positions - Extra-help positions are short-term employment for up to 1040 hours which is equivalent to about six months; however, employment might end sooner depending on the needs of the hiring departments. Extra-help assignments are at-will and the employee is paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment.
NOTE: For the Full-Time, Limited Term positions - This is an at-will position. Limited Term positions are designated for a specific and limited period of time, anywhere from 6 months to a maximum of 3 years depending on the assignment. Benefits package for term positions are similar to regular positions EXCEPT for retirement. Term employees receive a 401A retirement package and are not eligible for retiree health benefits or a defined benefit pension.
Information for current county employees: Current and regular San Mateo County Employees who are interested in the Limited Term assignment must submit an application and compete in the recruitment process. If you are successful in the recruitment and are being considered for the assignment, HR will work directly with you and/or your department for options. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable
- Examples Of Duties
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
With additional training and/or certification(s), some employees may perform the following duties under conditions required by code and department policy:
- Accurately take and record the condition, respiration, pulse, temperature and blood pressure of patients; record other pertinent information as observed or measured.
- Apply non-sterile dressings and administer non-medicated treatments under the supervision of a registered nurse, licensed physician, surgeon, podiatrist, nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
- Carry out rehabilitation procedures as directed by therapists; perform a range of motion body movement with/for patients; position and exercise patients.
- Advise patients on the use of restorative equipment.
- Advise patients of the effects of medications.
- Assist with radiology procedures and diagnostic imaging.
- Observe and practice proper isolation techniques.
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Operate various types of sterilization equipment.
- Set up oxygen, traction and other hospital equipment.
- Transport specimens, medical records and related items.
- Lift and transport patients and heavy items such as supplies and equipment; assist in controlling violent patients.
- Enter and retrieve a variety of information in automated systems.
- Greet patients at clinics, carry out registration activities and escort patients.
- File records, distribute mail and perform other clerical duties.
- Document and sign any care provided to patient in their medical record.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Perform injections including immunizations.
- Perform finger stick tests of all types including glucose testing.
- Perform skin tests including PPDs.
- Perform venipuncture and blood draws.
- Perform hearing and vision tests.
- Perform waived CLIA tests including dipstick UAs, and pregnancy tests.
- Provide for proper tracking and recording of laboratory tests.
- Take patient histories including risk factors.
- Set up, administer and record the results of EKGs.
- Follow provider orders regarding prescribed treatments including assisting patients with self-administration of medications.
- Teach and counsel patients on a variety of health related subjects as directed.
- Knowledge of:
- Principles, techniques and procedures specific to area of assignment.
- Principles and techniques in delivering patient care services related to personal hygiene, comfort, treatment, transportation, rehabilitation and physical or psychosocial needs.
- Infection control.
- Diagnostic imaging.
- Safe lifting techniques.
- Theory and practice of total body substance isolation.
- Patients' rights.
- Elder and child abuse, and domestic violence reporting requirements.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Perform a variety of tasks and activities.
- Develop and maintain empathetic attitudes toward patients.
- Provide assistance in delivering patient care in a medical setting such as bathing, feeding, bed making, dressing, and sterilization of patient care equipment.
- Observe and record patient conditions and vital signs.
- Lift and transport patients and heavy items such as supplies and equipment.
- Work with patients with multiple diagnoses.
- Work with a culturally, socio-economically diverse patient population of varying ages.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is: One year of experience in an outpatient clinic or doctor's office as a nurse's assistant or medical assistant.
Licensure/Certification: Possession of a Medical Assistant Certificate or a certificate of completion or degree from an accredited medical assisting program.
Some positions may require a current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate issued by the American Heart Association or a valid Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate issued by the American Red Cross.
Other Requirements: These positions may require that employees work weekends, holidays, evenings or other shifts and be on-call.
This is an extra-help recruitment. Anyone may apply. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.
Health System departments will screen application materials, and they will contact qualified candidates directly for a departmental interview.
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE:
Final Filing Date: Continuous
Departmental Interviews: TBD
A copy of the certificate of completion of an approved medical assisting program must be submitted with the application (a) attaching to the application online, (b) faxing to 650-363-4219 Attn: Ximena Burns, or (c) delivering to 455 County Center, 5th Floor prior to the filing deadline. No exceptions will be made.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Wendy Young (070318) (Medical Services Assistant II - F079)
Keywords: Medical Assistant, outpatient, outpatient clinic, patient care