Nurse Assessment Coordinator/Minimum Data Set Nurse (Department Promotional Only)
San Mateo Medical Center (SMMC) is seeking a qualified and experienced Clinical Nurse for the Nurse Assessment Coordinator/Minimum Data Set Nurse (NAC) position in our Inpatient Skilled Nursing Facility.
SMMC is a 64-bed acute care facility with a 32-bed skilled nursing facility and a full spectrum of outpatient services. SMMC has been providing healthcare to our community and surrounding service area since 1930.
This Clinical Nurse will act as the NAC for the Skilled Nursing Unit. An ideal candidate for the position will be a candidate with strong assessment and analytical skills, a thorough understanding of Minimum Data Set (MDS) Version 3.0 requirements, RAC-CT Certification, and a commitment to person-directed care is essential for a skilled nursing facility to survive in today's challenging, resource-stressed, competitive environment. The NAC is the nurse who is accountable for coordinating and overseeing the full collaborative, interdisciplinary assessment and care planning process in skilled nursing facilities. This process includes comprehensive resident assessments; care coordination and planning; resident advocacy and teaching; facilitation of open communication among care team members, the resident, and family; collection and transmission of data for the purposes of quality improvement; and adherence to the MDS and Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI) requirements. The ultimate goal of the assessment and care planning process is to promote the resident's quality of care and life in a skilled nursing facility, including individuality, safety, wellness, satisfaction, and dignity. The NAC is a champion of person-directed care and facilitates this through the assessment and care planning process. As such, MDS experience, experience with MDS 3.0, and experience in Skill Nursing are highly preferred. Knowledge in Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (OBRA), Title 22 Regulations, and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) regulations also highly preferred.
NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
- Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Works in collaboration with the Interdisciplinary Team to assess the needs of the resident.
- Assists with coordination and management of the daily Care Management meeting, to include review of resident care and the setting of the Assessment Reference Date.
- Complies with federal and state regulations regarding completion and coordination of the RAI process.
- Monitors MDS and care plan documentation for all residents. Ensures documentation is present in the medical record to support MDS coding.
- Maintains current MDS status of assigned residents according to state and federal guidelines.
- Supports the tracking system of MDS schedules (timeframes and due dates).
- Maintains the frequent and accurate data entry of resident information into appropriate computerized MDS programs.
- Completes accurate coding of the MDS with information obtained via medical record review, as well as observation and interview with facility staff, resident and family members.
- Attends interdisciplinary team meetings and other meetings in order to gather information, communicate changes, and maintain and update records.
- Continually updating knowledge base related to data entry and computer technology.
- At the direction of the RCMD, may participate in quality assurance activities.
- Completion of AANAC Certificate program within the first six months of employment.
- Contacts Medicare Beneficiary Hotline per company policy and RCMD direction.
- Completes electronic submission of required documentation to the State database and other entities per company policy.
- Provides education to staff regarding MDS updates and Requirements of Participation.
- Assist in creating policies and procedures pertaining to MDS.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledgeable in caring for the following age groups:
Licensure/Certification: Possession of a California license as a Registered Nurse.
Education and Experience:
- Associate Degree in Nursing with two years clinical experience including one year in a clinical specialty area, or
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or a health-related field with one year of clinical experience including six months in a clinical specialty area, or
- Master's degree in Nursing.
MDS Nurse - Must have knowledge of and verifiable experience in the use of MDS and performance improvement principles. Must have skilled nursing facility clinical experience.
- Advanced principles and practices in specialty areas.
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Current nursing and related medical theory and skills necessary to administer nursing care within assigned clinical setting.
- Safety and infection control practices.
- Clinical systems, supplies and equipment.
- Modern principles, techniques, and procedures of nursing.
- Medical terminology.
- Use and maintenance of medical instruments and equipment.
- Use and effects of medicines.
- Public health principles
- Health promotion and disease prevention.
- Medical research principles and practices.
- Principles of training and education.
- Lean principles and methodologies.
- Data abstraction and utilization.
- Basic statistics for reporting purposes.
- Report writing.
- Regulatory and accreditation requirements for assigned area.
- Provide leadership and direction to multi-disciplinary medical teams.
- Give direction to staff.
- Evaluate the work of others.
- Develop and present training and continuing education programs.
- Design, evaluate, construct and modify research models; carry out research and present findings.
- Perform the full range of nursing duties and responsibilities.
- Prepare clear and concise medical record documentation.
- Write articles for publication on areas of specialty.
- Identify problems or discrepancies and make suggestions for corrective actions.
- Teach and orient staff.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationship with patients and staff members.
- Communicate effectively.
Departmental Promotional Only. Only current San Mateo County employees in the Health System with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date may apply.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination will consist of an interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or a screening committee may select those applicants whose education and/or experience appear to best meet the needs of the position based solely on the information provided in the application materials. Because of this screening process, all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
~TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE~
Deadline to Apply: August 23, 2018 at 11:59 PM
Application Review/Screening: August 28, 2018
Interviews: September 5, 2018
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs.
The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Carolyn Burns (080918) (Clinical Nurse Educator - F011)
Keywords: Nursing, long-term care, skilled nursing, skilled nursing facility, SNF, Nurse Assessment Coordinator, Minimum Data Set Nurse, master's in nursing