Nurse Practitioner - Edison & Mobile Health Clinics - Limited Term (Open)
The County of San Mateo Health System's Public Health, Policy and Planning Division is seeking a well-qualified and experienced individual for the position of Nurse Practitioner - Edison & Mobile Health Clinics - Limited Term.
The Edison Clinic offers outpatient medical care for people with HIV/AIDS and other Infectious Diseases in San Mateo County. The Edison Clinic also has an STD Drop-in Clinic which provides low-cost screening and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. The Mobile Health Clinic provides medical care to homeless and other underserved populations at various clinic locations.
The Nurse Practitioner, under general supervision, provides primary health care services such as conducting complete physical examinations, developing diagnostic impressions and managing care of patients working in one or more specialty areas such as HIV Primary Care and STD Clinic and Mobile Health Clinic.
This is a full-time 40-hour per week position with a flexible schedule that requires working at different clinic sites during the week including Thursday evenings in the STD Clinic two to three times a month.
The ideal candidate has:
- Possession of a DEA license.
- At least one year of experience in family practice addressing chronic disease management.
- One year of experience providing medical care to patients living with HIV.
- Experience in the diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections
- Experience in HIV Prevention strategies including Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PReP) for HIV.
- Worked with the underserved population and on interdisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated skills as a critical thinker, fast learner and thrives in a dynamic environment.
- Computer literacy, prior experience with electronic medical records.
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
This is a limited term, at-will position. Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan.
- Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assess the health of patients to determine their physical, emotional and social status by taking a complete medical history, doing a physical examination, initiating screening and diagnostic procedures etc; evaluate results of clinical findings and laboratory tests; report any abnormalities to a physician.
- Identify and manage in collaboration with a physician, common illnesses and/or other health problems and refer these problems or illnesses that require immediate medical attention to the appropriate practicing physician; assume on-going responsibility for follow-ups.
- Collaborate with physicians and other health professionals regarding health problems and illnesses following established protocol relative to diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Counsel parents or other family members regarding health maintenance in the area of specialization.
- Coordinate and facilitate referrals to other health or social agencies.
- Maintain accurate records of assessments, follow-ups and evaluations.
- Supervise the work of subordinate health workers and participate in professional and administrative meetings.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Possession of a California license as a Registered Nurse.
- Possession of a California license as a Nurse Practitioner.
- The Nurse Practitioner requires certification in Family: Primary health care for patients of all ages.
Knowledge of: Principles, practices and procedures used in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of common health problems as related to the clinical specialty; fundamentals of clinical medicine as related to clinical specialty; drugs commonly used in the area of specialty including the indications of their use, anticipated therapeutic effect, side effects and untoward reactions and contraindications; safety and infection control practices and procedures; normal and abnormal values of laboratory tests and their clinical significance; operations and care of medical equipment and instruments used in the area of specialty; laws and regulations pertinent to the practice of nursing and medicine applicable to assigned specialty; community resources and referral systems; and provisions of the Nurse Practice Act.
Skill/Ability to: Assess the health status of patients; provide health care services including the taking of a complete medical history, doing complete physical examination and other related clinical procedures; identify and manage health problems common in the area of specialty; develop and implement treatment plans for patients according to policies and protocol; analyze and interpret health information/data including results of laboratory testing; communicate effectively, orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, professional staff and others; follow safety practices and procedures; and maintain accurate records and preparing reports.
- If you are interested in being considered for this Limited Term position, the following materials must be submitted via e-mail in a Word or PDF format.
- Responses to Supplemental Questions
- Possession of current California nursing licenses are required to qualify for this position. Please provide the following: NP license number and expiration date; RN license number and expiration date.
- Do you possess a DEA license? If yes, please provide your DEA license number and expiration date.
- Describe the education, training and work experience that qualify you for a position as a Nurse Practitioner. Be specific.
- Describe your experience working with and treating patients with HIV/AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs). Be specific.
- Describe your experience working with underserved populations. Be specific.
Please include the words "Nurse Practitioner - Edison & Mobile Health Clinics - Limited Term" in the subject area of email submissions to:Anita Booker, Clinics ManagerEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.
NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (cover letter with responses to supplemental questions and a resume) will not be considered.
County of San Mateo is an Equal Opportunity Employer