Pollution Prevention Specialist II/III-Limited Term (Open)
San Mateo County Health is excited to offer an opportunity to a well-qualified individual for the position of Pollution Prevention Specialist II/III-Limited Term.
This Pollution Prevention Specialist will conduct social marketing to County of San Mateo residents on a variety of environmental and public health topics; manage outreach activities for a variety of Environmental Health Services programs; and assist with other tasks as needed.
The current vacancy is limited-term in the Environmental Health Services Division located in San Mateo, CA, however, will travel/drive throughout the County to perform duties of the position. This position will work occasional evenings and weekends.
For information on the Environmental Health Services Division visit: http://www.smhealth.org/environmentalhealth
For information on the Pollution Prevention Programs visit: http://www.smchealth.org/pollutionprevention
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and plan strategic outreach campaigns including media pitches, advertising, and social marketing;
- Coordinate the Division's social media campaigns; develop and order outreach literature and promotional items utilizing proficiency in graphic design;
- Plan and staff outreach events;
- Communicate with the public, businesses, city and County staff;
- Conduct technical assistance visits to retail partner stores (auto part, food facility, hardware, and nail salon businesses);
- Track spending and process invoices;
- Attend and participate at meetings of related organizations; and
- Assist teammates with the Healthy Nail Salon Program, Household Hazardous Waste Outreach, and Product Stewardship, either with discreet tasks or on a project basis.
- At least three years of journey level experience in developing and implementing environmental and/or public health education and outreach campaigns, demonstrating significant responsibility in the areas of pollution prevention, public outreach, and grant and contract management.
- Proficiency in pollution prevention and public health protection concepts and goals, a working knowledge of local, state and federal efforts in this field in order to create effective outreach campaigns.
- Knowledge and application of varying media for outreach efforts including but not limited to website maintenance and web page development, media buys (television, newspaper, radio, etc.), social media, constituent relationship management systems, literature and brochure development, and various social marketing approaches.
Pollution Prevention Specialist II $39.32 - $49.14 Hourly
Pollution Prevention Specialist III $41.73 - $52.14 Hourly
NOTE: This is a limited term, at-will position not to exceed 3 years. Limited Term employees receive full medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a portable 401(a) plan.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
II level: One year of experience in hazardous materials management.
III level: Two years of journey level experience in hazardous materials management.
If you are interested in being considered for this limited term position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Cover letter with responses to Supplemental Questions (maximum of 2 pages)
- The Pollution Prevention Specialist will work occasional evenings and weekends. Are you able to perform/meet this need? A response of "No" to this question will disqualify you from hiring consideration.
- Describe your specific education and experience in social marketing and/or project management. Be specific about when, where and how you gained the education, and experience.
- Describe your experience developing, implementing, promoting, coordinating and evaluating an outreach/education program, event or project (including any website development or upkeep). Be specific.
- Describe your experience establishing and maintaining collaborative relations with diverse community groups, non-profit organizations and community leaders or businesses. Be specific about the kinds of organizations you collaborated with and describe the purpose of your outreach.
Please submit the above listed materials via email to:
Waymond Wong, Environmental Health Program Supervisor
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.
NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (cover letter with responses to supplemental questions and a resume) will not be considered.
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together
their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's
The County of San Mateo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.