Public Health Nurse- Field Nursing - Bilingual Spanish Required (Open & Promotional)
San Mateo County's Health System is seeking a qualified and experienced Public Health Nurse (PHN) for its Mobile Health Clinic in the Public Health Policy and Planning Division.
The Public Health Nurse in Field Nursing engages in activities that promote public health concepts to assist families in maximizing healthy lifestyles. Activities include outreach to the community and home visits for the purpose of case management of high- risk families, collaboration with other community members and organizations to identify and reduce barriers to seeking health care and other services, as well as participation in other activities that support the work of the Public Health Policy and Planning Division. This PHN focuses on providing services to the full spectrum of ages (infants through older adults) located primarily in Pescadero and the South Coast area of the County. The PHN will work closely with the Nurse Practitioner and Street Medicine/Farmworker team to provide medical services and follow up visits with clients for medical needs.
The ideal candidate has at least one year of experience as an RN in family practice addressing chronic disease management; is skilled in case management and triage assessment; has worked with the underserved population and on interdisciplinary teams. In addition, the candidate should have knowledge and experience using an electronic Health Record (EHR). The population served by this program is largely Spanish-speaking (monolingual), which requires staff to be able to communicate fluently and effectively in Spanish.
The position requires possession of a class C California driver license or the ability to provide suitable transportation (including public transportation), as approved by the appointing authority.
- Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assess clients health status through history taking, observation and screening tests.
- Develop care plan including goals and time frames.
- Assist the Nurse Practitioner with Clinic visits on Wednesdays.
- Follow up Medication adherence and reconciliation visits.
- Provide Health Education (diabetes, hypertension, etc.).
- Blood pressure checks.
- Delivering and managing prescription refills.
- Women's Health.
- Wound Care.
- Immunization Clinics.
- Referral to Family Health and other clinics, when appropriate.
- Counsel, teach, and coordinate health and social services provided to client/family.
- Inform high risk group of resources and make referrals as appropriate.
- Document services and clients response to services.
- Participate in defining and addressing community health needs through consultation, recruitment of providers and development of resources.
- Participate in developing instruction materials.
- Keep statistical records, write reports.
- Inform clients regarding medical needs and MediCal.
- Link clients to medical and dental resources.
- Participate on a multidisciplinary team.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- California license as a Registered Nurse.
- California Certificate as a Public Health Nurse.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
- Principles and practices of public health nursing, with emphasis on field and clinic activities.
- Problem solving through nursing process.
- Technical nursing procedures.
- Health and social services resources.
- Collaborative health planning with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Teach and counsel.
- Perform technical nursing procedures.
- Assess physical, psycho-social and nutritional needs.
- Assess community health needs.
- Teach and guide other health personnel and volunteers.
- Motivate people in positive health attitudes and behavior.
- Work effectively with multi-problem families.
- Problem solve.
- Make independent judgments and ability to work autonomously.
- Assume a leadership role in community health programs.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Be culturally sensitive.
- Be flexible to adapting to a changing environment.
- Organize communities regarding health matters.
Open & Promotional. Anyone may apply. Current San Mateo County and San Mateo County Superior Court employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination will consist of an interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or a screening committee may select those applicants whose education and/or experience appear to best meet the needs of the position based solely on the information provided in the application materials. Because of this screening process, all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.Analyst: Carolyn Burns (080718) (Public Health Nurse - F040)
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Final Filing Date: Continuous
Application Screening: TBD
Panel Interview: TBD
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.