Senior Retirement Analyst (Departmental Promotional Only)
The San Mateo County Employees' Retirement Association (SamCERA) is seeking an experienced Senior Retirement Analyst to oversee and coordinate the activities of the retiree and disability functional areas in the benefits section of the County's retirement system; audit and monitor the work in assigned area; train and assist in the evaluation of assigned staff; perform the more complex, technical, and analytical fiscal and/or benefits duties; assure the compliance of activities, programs and records related to the retirement fund and/or membership benefits; and develop, implement and maintain related files, systems and procedures.
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to perform complex analytical activities
- Ability to clearly present information to individuals and groups
- Set priorities and follow-up to ensure coordination and completion of assignments
- Communicate effectively and establish and maintain effective positive working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide lead direction, training, and guidance to a small staff serving as fiduciary in assuring the compliance and monitoring of activities, programs and records related to the retirement fund and/or the membership benefits program.
- Perform the more complex and technical tasks in the series such as disability applications.
- Work with the manager in developing and conducting individual on-the-job training for new employees assigned to the unit.
- Provide input to the manager on employee performance evaluation and discipline.
- Provide input in the implementation of SamCERA's investment, finance and/or benefits plans and programs.
- Analyze data, programs, and services to make recommendations for improvement.
- Develop, implement and maintain fiscal and benefits related systems, files and records.
- Provide input in the implementation of SamCERA's member education, finance and/or benefits plans and programs.
- Coordinate with internal County department and external jurisdictions or individuals to obtain information and resolve issues.
- Oversee special projects, data collection/statistical analysis reports for the Retirement Board, County departments and other agencies.
- Provide information to and counsel employees on retirement issues.
- Makes presentations to members, employees, the Retirement Board and the County on topics and issues related to the Retirement Office.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
County Status: An applicant must be a current County employee of the San Mateo County Employees' Retirement Association (SamCERA) with at least six months of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help, or temporary position prior to the final filing date.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is five years of direct retirement analyst experience.
Knowledge of: Basic supervisory principles and practices; County Employees' Retirement Law of 1937; terminology, concepts and practices related to the processing of service and the maintenance of retirement system records; office administrative principles and practices, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment; financial record keeping principles and practices; basic business data processing principles and the use of personal computing equipment; business arithmetic including percentages and decimals; and oral and written business English.
Skill/Ability to: Review the work of others; train others in the procedures, programs and records related to the retirement fund and/or the membership benefits program; analyze and resolve varied administrative problems; interpret, explain and apply laws, regulations, standards policies and procedures; develop and maintain accurate files and records and prepare reports; analyze, research and summarize information and materials; organize, coordinate and prioritize work activities, meet deadlines and follow up on activities; use initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; operate standard office equipment, including a personal or on-line computer; prepare clear, complete and concise reports, correspondence and other materials; and communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Note: Certification as an Employee Benefits Specialist by the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans is highly desirable.
Departmental Promotional Only. Only current San Mateo County employees in the San Mateo County Employees' Retirement Association (SamCERA) with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date may apply. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume or reference to a resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: Pass/Fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply' button above. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Final Date for Filing: December 17, 2018
Application Screening: Week of December 24, 2018
Combined Civil Service and Departmental Interviews: Week of January 14, 2019
At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day.Analyst: Christina Chan (120418) (Senior Retirement Analyst - E492)
County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.