Social Work Supervisor - Aging & Adult Services (Open)
San Mateo County Health is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of Social Work Supervisor-Aging and Adult Services. Social Work Supervisors, under direction, plan, assign, review, and evaluate the work of a unit of Social Workers and others, and provide direction to staff on casework concepts, methods and procedures, provisions of services, and departmental policies and procedures.
This current vacancy is in the Aging and Adult Services Division located in San Mateo, but will travel throughout the County to perform duties of the position; will work a Monday through Friday schedule. The position may also work from the South San Francisco, CA office.
The position is in the In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Program that provides in-home care for persons who cannot safely remain in their home without such assistance. The recipients of IHSS are aged, blind and/or disabled and eligible for Medi-Cal; Disabled and/or blind minor children may also be eligible for IHSS. IHSS Social Workers make home visits to determine eligibility for the program and to conduct an assessment to determine the range of service hours for particular tasks.
The Social Work Supervisor in IHSS will be responsible for:
- Providing support and supervision to a team of social workers, community workers, and/or office staff.
- Understanding and supporting Lean/LEAP efforts (e.g., process improvement) that have recently been initiated by training staff, tracking progress, and continuously gathering information about process improvements.
- Troubleshooting issues with CMIPS II (e.g., state IT database system) and the Q Continuum System (e.g., case management database).
- Designing and implementing training for staff and community partners.
- Reviewing client cases and communicating with clients/others as needed.
- Collaborating with the Health Plan of San Mateo and other partners.
- Supporting implementation of San Mateo County's Integrated Care Model.
- Developing Policies and Procedures.
- Collaborate with quality assurance team to ensure proper adherence to regulations.
- Ensuring compliance with State and Federal regulations.
- Perform duties related to staff performance and personnel issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An effective supervisor with strong leadership skills to direct the work of and motivate a team of social workers.
- Familiar with the laws, rules, regulations and procedures governing the operation of public social services agencies and the variety of service programs.
- Highly organized and able to plan and implement a social service program.
- Knowledgeable of principles of case management, including the integration of social and health care issues and services to enhance client function and stability.
- Able to focus on the details of daily program activities, while maintaining a broad perspective of the agency's philosophy, standards, and requirements as a whole.
- An effective analyzer and problem solver, able to exercise sound judgment in decision-making.
- A skilled communicator experienced in preparing and presenting oral and written reports.
- Able to maintain effective, cooperative, and understanding work relationships with clients from a variety of diverse backgrounds, representatives of other units and agencies, and others contacted during the course of work.
NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is two years of experience performing a full range of professional social worker duties.
Knowledge of: Principles, methods and techniques of social work; principles of social work and supervision; scope and nature of current problems in the field of social work; laws, rules, regulations, and procedures governing the operation of public social service agencies and a variety of service programs; principles of individual and group behavior and their application to cases; community organizations and resources; and functions of social welfare agencies.
Skill/Ability to: Plan, organize, supervise and evaluate the work of assigned staff; provide direction in the development and implementation of services for clients; effectively interpret and develop departmental/programmatic policies, rules and regulations; prepare and present clear and concise oral and written reports; and maintain effective, cooperative and understanding work relationships with clients from a variety of diverse backgrounds, representatives of other units and agencies, and others contacted during the course of work.
Anyone may apply. A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. Resume or CV will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply.
~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Final Filing Date: November 7, 2018
Application Screening: November 13, 2018
Panel Interviews: November 28 and/or 29, 2018
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Kristin Herman (101118) (Social Work Supervisor - Exempt - G093)