Supervising Dentist (Open)
The San Mateo Medical Center is seeking a Supervising Dentist. The San Mateo Medical Center is part of the County of San Mateo Health System. Under general direction, the Supervising Dentist will supervise and direct the County wide dental services program and clinically direct and fully supervise professional, paraprofessional and support staff.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three years of clinical experience and three years of supervisory experience. This experience could be obtained in a clinic setting or through positions in a private practice. Dental services are performed in a hospital-based clinic and general clinic settings. As a result, dental services are integrated with health system processes and infrastructure support including electronic health records, medical dictation and the availability of dental and medical specialists in both the hospital and satellite clinics.
Besides being a full-scope Medical Center and Hospital, the San Mateo Medical Center operates five dental clinics located in San Mateo (39th Avenue Clinic), Redwood City (Fair Oaks Health Center- FOHC), Daly City (Daly City Clinic), Coastside Clinic (Half Moon Bay), and a Mobile Dental Clinic (MDC) These clinics treat children and adults, homeless and transitional populations, and patients with HIV diagnosis.
All Clinics are open Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM, with some evenings, and some Saturday hours. There is an oral surgeon at the San Mateo facility every Wednesday, at FOHC every Monday, and at Coastside one day every other month. At FOHC and MDC, there is a special clinic where patients are treated by University of Pacific Third Year Residents. A UCSF Resident is present at the FOHC facility. Foothill dental hygiene students go to FOHC, MDC and Coastside Clinic during their last year of education. Pregnant women on Medi-Cal can also obtain dental services in all of the clinics. Additionally, San Mateo Medical Center oversees dental care for correctional health.
NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
- Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Direct and administer the County wide dental services program.
- Plan, assign, review and supervise the work of assigned staff; train staff in work procedures and ensure the professional development of staff; develop individual and team performance.
- Evaluate employee performance, counsel employees and effectively recommend initial corrective action and other personnel decisions.
- Provide clinical supervision and direction to all levels of professional, paraprofessional and support staff including assigning, directing, and monitoring work.
- Develop and monitor adherence to policies, procedures and protocols.
- Teach and provide instruction to residents, interns and dental students.
- Coordinate the work of consulting dentists.
- Develop standards of medical care for specialty area.
- Participate in in-service training programs.
- Carry out a full range of dental care and treatment duties.
- Participate in clinical research.
- Prepare reports and maintain records of activities.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Supervisory principles and practices, including work planning and evaluation, project management, scheduling and training.
- Job planning and prioritizing techniques.
- Principles of budget preparation and monitoring.
- Principles of personnel training, supervision and evaluation.
- Development of medical policies, procedures and protocols.
- Preparation of comprehensive reports and other correspondence.
- Dental care management practices and principles including revenue retrieval.
- Principles and practices of modern dentistry and its application, techniques, procedures and equipment.
- Current developments, trends and research in the dental field.
- Pharmacology including laws regarding informed consent, dosage ranges, drug incompatibilities, and side effects.
- Proper documentation of clinical services.
- Plan, assign, supervise, direct, review and evaluate the work of others.
- Train others in work procedures.
- Analyze and resolve administrative problems related to the dental program.
- Direct County wide programs.
- Provide clinical direction to professional, paraprofessional and technical staff.
- Organize and prioritize work, meeting critical deadlines and follow up on assignments.
- Prepare comprehensive reports and correspondence.
- Apply principles of effective management techniques.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, their families, Medical Center staff, community organizations and others.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing with individuals within the County or at any level within the Medical Center.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
Three years of experience in the provision of professional dental services in a clinic or in a private practice.
- License to practice dentistry issued by the California Board of Dental Examiners.
Anyone may apply. A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. Resume or CV will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply.
~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Final Filing Date: October 5, 2018
Application Screening: October 9, 2018
Panel Interviews: October 23 and/or 25, 2018
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Kristin Herman (090718) (Supervising Dentist - F030)