Supervising Physician - Coastside Clinic - San Mateo Medical Center (Open)
San Mateo County Health seeks leaders to join our integrated Health System as head of one of our high performing clinical teams. This is a full-time opportunity to oversee the excellent team work at Half Moon Bay's beautiful health center.
Ideal candidates are energetic leaders interested in improving patient centered approaches to care and have experience in change management. They are skilled problem solvers who can support data driven standard processes to ensure every patient receives the same level of quality care.
Adult, pediatric, gynecology and dental teams at Coastside Health Center work together to provide compassionate and complete care to this community. Onsite Behavioral health, social work and pharmacist support as well as strong RN presence create a team based approach serving over three thousand patients. The Supervising Physician works in concert with manager and nursing leadership to lead local quality improvement work and program development in addition to direct on-site clinical work and supervision of the provider team.
This clinic is part of San Mateo Medical Center, a fully accredited acute/long term care/teaching hospital whose vision is to help every patient live the healthiest life possible. We are a truly integrated health care delivery system connected through a unified leadership structure. Lean methodology is the core of all our improvement work we are creating a community of engaged problem solvers.
Additional benefits: The position offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package which includes flexible scheduling options, strong leadership training, County funded malpractice insurance, retirement plans and health benefits for retirees, reimbursement of professional dues and expenses (up to $2,500/year), an additional 5% increase in salary for each qualifying Board certification up to two (2) Boards, administrative leave time at 5 hours per pay period up to 260 hours (this is prorated for part time employees) that can be cashed out up to 50% each Spring, and a wellness program, including exercise classes, worksite massage, and an onsite gym.
Ideal Candidate - A successful candidate will have demonstrated skill and success in the following areas:
- Communication and Consensus Building: Has had experience bringing diverse viewpoints and stakeholdelers together successfully to accomplish goals, and commands the trust and respect others.
- Vision, Initiative, and Innovation: Has a keen interest in team based care and creating a positive patient experience, and has demonstrated innovation and initiative in realizing that vision.
- Project Management and Teamwork: Has overseen and successfully led complex projects and coordinated interdisciplinary teams.
- Supervision and mentoring: Has significant experience in supervising and mentoring others.
- At least two years of experience as a physician in a primary care clinic, a minimum of six months of lead or supervisory experience overseeing a primary care clinic, including direct supervision of licensed staff.
- Examples Of Duties
- Direct and administer a medical program.
- Provide clinical supervision and direction to all levels of medical/professional staff including assigning, directing, and monitoring work.
- Develop and monitor adherence to medical policies, procedures and protocols.
- Provide consultation services.
- Advise community physicians regarding medical treatment and practices.
- Train and supervise interns and residents.
- Coordinate the work of consulting physicians.
- Conduct comprehensive medical histories and physical examinations.
- Prescribe and administer treatment and medication as necessary.
- Develop standards of medical care for specialty area.
- Participate in in-service training programs.
- Supervise medical, professional, and technical and support staff; full supervision includes responsibility for selection, performance evaluation, and corrective action.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Health care management practices and principles including revenue retrieval.
- Current developments, trends and research in a medical specialty.
- Principles and practices of supervision.
- Development of medical policies, procedures and protocols.
- Preparation of comprehensive reports and other correspondence.
- Pharmacology and psychopharmacology including laws regarding informed consent, dosage ranges, drug incompatibilities, and side effects.
- Laws, statues, codes, and regulations related to the specialty area which govern health service providers, and JCAHO and other regulatory requirements.
- Advanced principles, practices, and techniques of general medicine and its application.
- Medical diagnosis and treatment.
- Direct medical programs.
- Clinically supervise and provide lead direction to medical/professional staff, including physicians.
- Fully supervise staff, including selection, performance evaluation, and corrective action.
- Prepare comprehensive reports and correspondence.
- Apply principles of effective management techniques.
- Diagnose patients and prescribe treatment or therapy in the designated specialty area.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, their families, hospital staff, community organizations and others.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing with individuals within the County or at any level within the Health Services Department.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:Licensure/Certification:
Three years of experience in the designated medical specialty. Board Certification or eligibility for certification in Family Practice, Internal Medicine, or a related area is highly desirable.
- License to practice medicine or osteopathy in the State of California.
Anyone may apply. A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. Resume or CV will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the County of San Mateo Human Resources Department.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply.
Apply immediately. This is a continuous recruitment and is open until filled. Selections may be made at any time within the process.
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.HR Contact: Kristin Herman (091418) (Supervising Physician - F127)